I created a rendered design and turnaround for my new Frankenstein design.
In my previous 1003 post I mentioned creating a character that looked shattered and had mineral deposits growing out of it. I also wanted to use the thin and stretched body shape I liked, along with the head shape from Frankenweenie.
Here is the coloured version below-
I decided to make the skin a mixture of brown and purple to make it look like old clay, along with having darker brown near the stalactites.
I made them blue and yellow as it stood out more against the skin and is also the colour I’m best at drawing the illusion of light with.
I matched the facial features to the golems I’ve seen online, as well as giving it the belt and words I’ve seen all the statues have.
Here is the turnaround with and without the crystal structures-
In an analytical sense Frankenstein’s story is a story of a golem as he is bought to life out of materials and given tasks, but I’ve tied this design to golems even more by having the word on his forehead. In Jewish folklore the golem stops working if the word is erased, but by only having it half gone ties to the imagery of Frankenstein not working and decaying.
I haven’t decided on posture yet as these images were for the physical design only.
At the start of the 2D animation lesson we looked at moving a bouncing ball on a 3D perspective. This task was set to help us with the idea of moving the Olympic figures on a “third dimension” and making the work less flat.
Here are my guide lines-
The breakdowns were planned out by halving the distance between the ball and the floor.
Here is my animation-
I really like this animation. Originally I was only going to animate the ball on the right but as I already had guidelines on the left I added a second one.
The shadow really helped with realism and I think I should try to include that in my Olympic animation.
I modelled the helmet out of a sphere for the main part and extruded faces and edges to create details. I made the ear parts of of cylinders and the buttons and hinge from cylinders. The neck covering was an extruded edge and the gold squares were from cubes.
I used the chrome texture as I needed to make it reflective.
I made the table so I could start to scale and arrange my shapes-
I added a blinn to it and changed the colour and reflectivity until it matched the actual table.
I then started on the cloth-
This was only the first attempt and it needs a lot of improvement.
I started texturing and preparing the composition. I also started looking at lighting but I’m not sure if my textures at the moment are too dark so I decided to perfect those first.
Posing and positioning to make sure I get the same angles from the painting.
After my golem work and week 7 review I decided to go back to concept designing instead of final designs.
I’ve decided that the creature will look like it’s made of clay or rock and instead of decomposition or fungi will be shattered and have stalactites growing out of it.
For the Olympic project one of the deliverables was a key frame line test with rough animation line test.
I decided that I would illustrate my storyboard and extra frames in the actual lift section to create my line test.
Below is the rough version-
The start looks a bit too fast at the moment but as I haven’t added any breakdowns i’m not worried about timings yet.
Below is the neat version-
I decided to remove the Armada idea as the piece was loosing the context of being in the Olympics. I had to change what I originally wanted for the ladies in waiting but I kept them in the animation as I really like the designs.
I think I am going to struggle with the crowd scene as the perspective is quite difficult and it will require a lot of animating so I think if I find it too time consuming I’ll change it into a closer shot.
I’m really happy with how this turned out and I think it hits a lot of the 12 principles of animation. I need to start thinking about arcs and timing and what motions I’m going to emphasise, but I think I have a good starting point.
After being properly set the task today I decided to move away from the design of Queen Elizabeth and look into other characters.
In a review it was mentioned I could look into historical context and I decided to add elements of the Spanish Armada.
Below is a sketch page where I focused designs for the Ladies in Waiting and the Duke of Medina-
I referenced the below images when creating the work-
I wanted to add humour to it so I drew the Duke in board shorts and the Ladies as secret service style body guards.
I then created a really rough comparison/ reference chart
In class discussions it was also mentioned that the recreation of the sport didn’t have to be a complete adaptation of the way it’s seen on TV so I thought I could make the character lift something other than a dumbbell.
I found this image of a character lifting another-
And my first thought was to have Elizabeth lift one of her ladies in waiting-
But then I thought I could visualize the Spanish defeat and have her lift the Duke-
These are all still random ideas as I need to script and storyboard the piece, but while I don’t have a structure to stick to I’m able to come up with a wide range of ideas.