1003: Character Turnarounds

I finally got the turnarounds to work for both characters-

Icarus-

Amphitrite-

I had a few rendering issues- for Icarus I had to make a new file and with Amphitrite I had to playblast from the turnaround camera as a PNG series and then convert to AVI with premiere pro (that’s why the lights are there). I think turnaround is my least favourite Maya feature.

I like both designs and the turnarounds were made so I could use them for a first year portfolio.

1003: Jelly Deformer

I tested the jiggle deformer in the deform menu on a cube-

This was really fun to do. It was interesting to test the physics and change the material. The engine for this deformer is really good as you don’t need to create an object for it to collide with, the animation instead drives the movement.

1001: Canyon master post

All my canyon blog posts-

Initial idea Concept work and pinterest references

Concept work and visual sound score More concept art and inspiration. Also visual score

storyboards and sound timings

Animatic, new storyboard and character design Storyboard in black and white and colour

Canyon Redesign Redesign of the layout based on the limitations of my animation

New Animatic and more references Improved animatic with better faces based on feedback

Start of keying Start of actual animation and timings

More Scenery Design Background work and title page

Formative Assessment changes More changes based on feedback

Animation-
Animation update More animation Animation update More colouring and face changes

Summartive Presentation

More Animation based on summative presentation

More animation
Animation with Animated rain

Soundtracks- (trial and final)-

Soundtracks

Final Animation Post-

Final Animation

1001: Final Animation

Here is my final 2D animation for the sound project-

(please watch with good speakers/headphones to get all the sounds)

What I like-

I think the sound is really effective and matches the environment. I kept reworking the echo level and timings and I think it really flows well together.

I animated the rain about three different ways. By making it two colours and adding the splashes it helps place it in the scene better. The shadows and lighting changes also ground the place and give it depth. I used about 11 layers for this piece, which while really hard to keep track of did mean I could animate more of the background objects and have a more defined foreground and background.

I think my camera angles, backgrounds and character movement is good. I tried to vary the shot type and place character movement on an angle so nothing was too linear and boring.

I also think my character designs are pretty good. I had three reviews and after each one I was told how to improve them so by the end of the animation I finally got a consistent face and look.

What I need to improve-

In some scenes the lines jump a bit which really annoys me. Also the scene where the canyon cracks took about 10 trials as I had issues with timing and consistency.

The dog was easy to draw and animate but I had huge problems with the human character which I think shows in the animation.

Another thing that frustrated me was the fact I couldn’t export how I wanted into TVPaint so I ended up redrawing all my backgrounds using the brushes in TVPaint. I wasn’t able to get the same style as I did in the concept art so I feel like the backgrounds don’t quite have the soft style I wanted.

I also feel like I could’ve pushed things a bit more. Near the end where I move the shadow of the drill and animate the drill head is more visually interesting than a few of my longer scenes.