New and improved animatic with test audio-
I used the storyboard but changed the colours and repainted a few messy scenes
Mix of my own audio, clips from FreeSound (I’ll create a credits page soon)
and a cover of House of The Rising Sun (folk version) by Karim Kamar- used with permission
Based on feedback I reworked my storyboards-
I removed a few shots and helped make the scene flow better. I also reworked the ending.
There’s a lot of peach in the colour scheme so I might work over my background colours. In the last board I didn’t draw the background in as I wasn’t sure how much detail to include, but that’s an area I’m going to explore separately to the story-boarding.
After a few more script revisions I decided to start on an animatic. I ended up with editing a quite a bit during the drawing stage, and I still need to record my sounds other than the voice but it is a good start 🙂
I worked over some if my scenes from my previous boarding attempt. I started at the “lantern” stanza as that was the area I was most unsatisfied with.
Based on what I’ve produced I’m happy with everything in this section up until the “beads” section. I think I need to go over that again tomorrow in class, but with the whole piece so I can keep steady timing.
The ending of her looking over the rows and rows of suburbia is an idea I want to continue with but I think I need to look at different ways of framing it to make it as effective as I want.
I wanted to finalise my character design by this week. Below are my dress designs. I tried to pick colours that weren’t in the environment design so she wouldn’t blend in too much. I looked at 60’s housewife outfits for inspiration and muted the colours as the character is worn down throughout the piece.
I started with choosing four favourite designs from my previous dress work. I chose the top right as my best one.
I also looked at a line-less style-
I really like the red gingham, green and yellow designs and the blue spotted dress.
For the moment I think I’m going to move forward with the blue design as my final design but this could change after the animatic.
I worked on the body proportions and designs for my female character.
Sketches and movement tests based on favourites-
Final Design (I chose C)-
I started designing the house for the poem. I looked at 60’s images-
I then drew a few-
After thinking about my favourite elements of each, I designed and coloured a finished downstairs design-
I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Now I really need to work on storyboards and a script.
I’ve had a few images in my head every time I read through my script for the poem so I decided to finally draw them out-
At the moment these are incredibly rough and I made them mostly so I don’t forget my ideas. I need to study cinematography and work on my set designs much more before committing to anything.
I do like a lot of the scenes so far so I think it was a good start. The extract from Fever 103 I used was-
Darling, all night
I have been flickering, off, on, off, on.
Three days. Three nights.
Lemon water, chicken
Water, water make me retch.
I am too pure for you or anyone.
Hurts me as the world hurts God. I am a lantern——
Does not my heat astound you! And my light!
I think I am going up,
I think I may rise——
The beads of hot metal fly, and I love, I
Am a pure acetylene
In the past week I worked on character development and collecting references.
I have about 15 pages of artists I want to reference in terms of style and colour usage, as well as pictures from the time period so I can make the piece as reflective of the sixties as possible.
When researching artists I particularly like Michael Carson’s style-
Michael Carson http:/www.tuttartpitturasculturapoesiamusica.com;
I painted a version of his work to get an understanding of his brush style-
I then researched more artists and sixties aesthetic.
From this development I started designing characters-
I started with the heads as it’s a lip sync project so that’s going to be the main focus.
From these faces I picked one I liked and really tried to push the proportions and style. I wanted my character to look her age and also have a unique aesthetic that could influence the entire design.
I ended up with 6 versions and then drew different poses of the final 2 before settling on the design with the longest face.
I worked on a few expressions-
And then a few plot relevant ideas, facial features and a couple of scene blocking ideas-
I liked the water distortion so I’m going to explore that more.
I also started looking at outfits but before I decide on that I want to decided the shape and proportions of the characters whole body-
For the poem task I decided to choose Sylvia Plath’s “Fever 103“.
I really liked the fire theme and the imagery the poem has.
I created a few ideas and did some research-
I looked at Thomas Blackshear, Norman Parkinon, Nikolai Ivanovich Svishtov Paulo, Edwin Bower Hesser, Moana, Isadora Duncan(movement), Fantasia, mythology style animation, Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd), Suburbia/Stepford wives, Cuban missile crisis/ cold war, ending of mother! Norman Rockwell, Fallout, Dali,
I really started edging towards 60s Suburbia by the end and I think that’s what I’m going to focus on. I think the aesthetics and stress of the time fit well with what Sylvia Plath was discussing and feeling.
I also loved “Divina Commedia”-
And “Lux-Binding the Light” by Glen Keane.
Both these pieces have tonal and artistic styles I want to try to emulate. I particularly like the repetition of Divina.
I also did some more specialised research-
I don’t have much of a character or plot outline but I at least have a basic idea and design look.