Poem: Animatic and Line Tests

I did another ‘final’ animatic-

In this one I added most of the background sounds (forgot the clock) so I can be prepared for starting the real animation.

I also created a few line tests-

Line tests referenced from Richard William’s book, here, and here

Peasant Wedding (soundtrack project)

First draft of the Peasant Wedding soundtrack done-

I based my script on the idea of following the two people with the tray through the kitchen, around the hall and back to my kitchen.

I picked the water pouring and meal plating as my main sound and sandwiched it between the rhythm of the kitchen to create a variety of room sizes.

I used recordings of my dog, clips from the BRUSH project and background noises from class as the voices, along with royalty free recordings that I will create a credits list for soon.

I ended up with a lot of tracks and clips-


But I really enjoyed editing them all together and creating my own sound room

Poem: Colour Script

i finally finished the colour script! Based on feedback I desaturated the background colours a lot from how they were on the animatic

I don’t think I’m going to redo the animatic so I will use this as a colour reference for the piece. In the early storyboards there was a lot of peach used but I managed to reduce this for the colour script.

I only coloured base colours and a few shadows so the smoke effects aren’t included in the lantern segment.

2005 Presentation

Work so far. (quick summary of each blog post and the work done in between)


I started this project with several pages of prep work  that led to the focus of the sixties suburbia look. I also was inspired heavily by Te Fiti from Moana, so I started looking into different ways to focus on how to stylise fire.

After this I worked on a script and had the basic idea to set the piece in a kitchen and have the character be performing a monologue to herself. I wanted to narrow down the look of the piece from the 15 or so artists I’d referenced so I focused on Michael Carson. I then designed the character and made a few quick scene sketches.

The next task I set myself was to narrow the script down even more and create a very basic storyboard. This was to help me establish the beats of the piece and assist in directing the voice actress.

While I waited for the voice recordings to arrive I focused on environment design.

The house is the biggest clue for the time place so I looked at a lot of references. In a review the colours were decided to be slightly too saturated but overall it is an effective design. To continue the themes of being trapped I designed the house to look like a bird cage, with the striped wallpaper and backdoor being the most obvious clues.

I then created a body design and outfits

With the character finished I slightly improved the storyboards, created an animatic and then improved the storyboards even more.

Based on reviews and improving the audio even more I then redrew a lot of the frames, altered the colours and removed a couple of scenes to make an even better animatic

This is the point I’m at now. I need to finish the colour script and create a few line tests- particularly a walk cycle and fire animations.

Poem: Improved storyboards

Based on feedback I reworked my storyboards-

I removed a few shots and helped make the scene flow better. I also reworked the ending.

There’s a lot of peach in the colour scheme so I might work over my background colours. In the last board I didn’t draw the background in as I wasn’t sure how much detail to include, but that’s an area I’m going to explore separately to the story-boarding.

Poem: First animatic

After a few more script revisions I decided to start on an animatic. I ended up with editing a quite a bit during the drawing stage, and I still need to record my sounds other than the voice but it is a good start 🙂


Poem: More rough boards

I worked over some if my scenes from my previous boarding attempt. I started at the “lantern” stanza as that was the area I was most unsatisfied with.

Based on what I’ve produced I’m happy with everything in this section up until the “beads” section. I think I need to go over that again tomorrow in class, but with the whole piece so I can keep steady timing.

The ending of her looking over the rows and rows of suburbia is an idea I want to continue with but I think I need to look at different ways of framing it to make it as effective as I want.

Poem: Outfit design

I wanted to finalise my character design by this week. Below are my dress designs. I tried to pick colours that weren’t in the environment design so she wouldn’t blend in too much. I looked at 60’s housewife outfits for inspiration and muted the colours as the character is worn down throughout the piece.

I started with choosing four favourite designs from my previous dress work. I chose the top right as my best one.


Colour variations-

I also looked at a line-less style-

I really like the red gingham, green and yellow designs and the blue spotted dress.

For the moment I think I’m going to move forward with the blue design as my final design but this could change after the animatic.