Here is the finished version of my film “Eseld”
I’m really happy with it.
I put a lot of time and work into the piece and I think it shows. I tried a lot of new things with this film- run cycles, animating quadrupeds, multiple characters, a piece longer that 40 seconds etc… There’s a lot of trial and error in this film but it represents me well.
The film has a few rough bits of animation, but I don’t feel as if I’ve taken the easy route or handed in an unfinished piece of work. Every scene was a challenge from the first draft, and some have been overcome much easier than others.
I’d like to again thank my voice actors and composer. Working with other people helped me feel more involved in the world of my project, as well as having really skilled people bring their abilities to the film.
I included a lot of things I’m a personal fan of in this film- dogs, snow, forests, adventures, suspense, and it was fun to create a personal film without having to tell an autobiographical story.
My personal highlights were painting the backgrounds and seeing my improvement, recording my puppy for reference and working with actors and composers for the first time.
List of links for the second half of the project. Although some of these are listed by weeks it’s not 100% correct.
First week of animation
Second week of animation
Third week of animation- change to non-chronological animating
Fourth week of animation
Fifth week of animation
Sixth week– sketch finished and trial music in
Seventh week – Start of neat animation
Eighth week- music and first 1/3 complete
Pre- Easter update
Post-Easter update Backgrounds added and short animation review
Dog colouring done and character mostly done
I added more colouring to the character and painted a couple more backgrounds. I was also able to colour the entire dog on Saturday which I was very happy with. I also was able to give it eyebrows and a painted muzzle to make it look a bit more finished. If I finish colouring the rest by Thursday I might texture it a bit more on Friday.
My current priority is finishing colouring the monster and Eseld, creating credits and then thinking about shading. I also need to write the PDF summary of the project, but I’m feeling like I will be satisfied with what I hand in.
I’ve managed to colour about 1 minute of the animation in flat colours. It’s going reasonably well so far, I’m using colour layers for the first time and this is massively speeding up the process.
My main priority for this weekend is to paint as many backgrounds as possible
I’ve finished all the animation and half of the backgrounds-
I also lip synced.
I did the end and start first, so when I was finishing up the middle I started to see parts of the film that I could improve by animating again, but I doubt I have time for that.
I’m glad to of finished because now I have enough time to complete the colouring to a high level