i finally finished the colour script! Based on feedback I desaturated the background colours a lot from how they were on the animatic
I don’t think I’m going to redo the animatic so I will use this as a colour reference for the piece. In the early storyboards there was a lot of peach used but I managed to reduce this for the colour script.
I only coloured base colours and a few shadows so the smoke effects aren’t included in the lantern segment.
Work so far. (quick summary of each blog post and the work done in between)
I started this project with several pages of prep work that led to the focus of the sixties suburbia look. I also was inspired heavily by Te Fiti from Moana, so I started looking into different ways to focus on how to stylise fire.
After this I worked on a script and had the basic idea to set the piece in a kitchen and have the character be performing a monologue to herself. I wanted to narrow down the look of the piece from the 15 or so artists I’d referenced so I focused on Michael Carson. I then designed the character and made a few quick scene sketches.
The next task I set myself was to narrow the script down even more and create a very basic storyboard. This was to help me establish the beats of the piece and assist in directing the voice actress.
While I waited for the voice recordings to arrive I focused on environment design.
The house is the biggest clue for the time place so I looked at a lot of references. In a review the colours were decided to be slightly too saturated but overall it is an effective design. To continue the themes of being trapped I designed the house to look like a bird cage, with the striped wallpaper and backdoor being the most obvious clues.
I then created a body design and outfits
With the character finished I slightly improved the storyboards, created an animatic and then improved the storyboards even more.
Based on reviews and improving the audio even more I then redrew a lot of the frames, altered the colours and removed a couple of scenes to make an even better animatic
This is the point I’m at now. I need to finish the colour script and create a few line tests- particularly a walk cycle and fire animations.
New and improved animatic with test audio-
I used the storyboard but changed the colours and repainted a few messy scenes
Mix of my own audio, clips from FreeSound (I’ll create a credits page soon)
and a cover of House of The Rising Sun (folk version) by Karim Kamar- used with permission
Based on feedback I reworked my storyboards-
I removed a few shots and helped make the scene flow better. I also reworked the ending.
There’s a lot of peach in the colour scheme so I might work over my background colours. In the last board I didn’t draw the background in as I wasn’t sure how much detail to include, but that’s an area I’m going to explore separately to the story-boarding.
After a few more script revisions I decided to start on an animatic. I ended up with editing a quite a bit during the drawing stage, and I still need to record my sounds other than the voice but it is a good start 🙂
I worked over some if my scenes from my previous boarding attempt. I started at the “lantern” stanza as that was the area I was most unsatisfied with.
Based on what I’ve produced I’m happy with everything in this section up until the “beads” section. I think I need to go over that again tomorrow in class, but with the whole piece so I can keep steady timing.
The ending of her looking over the rows and rows of suburbia is an idea I want to continue with but I think I need to look at different ways of framing it to make it as effective as I want.
I wanted to finalise my character design by this week. Below are my dress designs. I tried to pick colours that weren’t in the environment design so she wouldn’t blend in too much. I looked at 60’s housewife outfits for inspiration and muted the colours as the character is worn down throughout the piece.
I started with choosing four favourite designs from my previous dress work. I chose the top right as my best one.
I also looked at a line-less style-
I really like the red gingham, green and yellow designs and the blue spotted dress.
For the moment I think I’m going to move forward with the blue design as my final design but this could change after the animatic.
I worked on the body proportions and designs for my female character.
Sketches and movement tests based on favourites-
Final Design (I chose C)-
I started designing the house for the poem. I looked at 60’s images-
I then drew a few-
After thinking about my favourite elements of each, I designed and coloured a finished downstairs design-
I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Now I really need to work on storyboards and a script.
I’ve had a few images in my head every time I read through my script for the poem so I decided to finally draw them out-
At the moment these are incredibly rough and I made them mostly so I don’t forget my ideas. I need to study cinematography and work on my set designs much more before committing to anything.
I do like a lot of the scenes so far so I think it was a good start. The extract from Fever 103 I used was-
Darling, all night
I have been flickering, off, on, off, on.
Three days. Three nights.
Lemon water, chicken
Water, water make me retch.
I am too pure for you or anyone.
Hurts me as the world hurts God. I am a lantern——
Does not my heat astound you! And my light!
I think I am going up,
I think I may rise——
The beads of hot metal fly, and I love, I
Am a pure acetylene