Here is my final 2D animation for the sound project-
(please watch with good speakers/headphones to get all the sounds)
What I like-
I think the sound is really effective and matches the environment. I kept reworking the echo level and timings and I think it really flows well together.
I animated the rain about three different ways. By making it two colours and adding the splashes it helps place it in the scene better. The shadows and lighting changes also ground the place and give it depth. I used about 11 layers for this piece, which while really hard to keep track of did mean I could animate more of the background objects and have a more defined foreground and background.
I think my camera angles, backgrounds and character movement is good. I tried to vary the shot type and place character movement on an angle so nothing was too linear and boring.
I also think my character designs are pretty good. I had three reviews and after each one I was told how to improve them so by the end of the animation I finally got a consistent face and look.
What I need to improve-
In some scenes the lines jump a bit which really annoys me. Also the scene where the canyon cracks took about 10 trials as I had issues with timing and consistency.
The dog was easy to draw and animate but I had huge problems with the human character which I think shows in the animation.
Another thing that frustrated me was the fact I couldn’t export how I wanted into TVPaint so I ended up redrawing all my backgrounds using the brushes in TVPaint. I wasn’t able to get the same style as I did in the concept art so I feel like the backgrounds don’t quite have the soft style I wanted.
I also feel like I could’ve pushed things a bit more. Near the end where I move the shadow of the drill and animate the drill head is more visually interesting than a few of my longer scenes.